4.27.2016


Why yes. Yes I do have a blog.

What's it about?

Um, just silly stuff. Fashion, beauty, my style.

Oh that's so cool, I'll have to read it!

And in my head I'm thinking, please don't! God don't read it and see what I do on the weekends. Husband running home from work on Fridays so we can catch the last bits of sunlight.

It's not that deep. I always follow up people's questions by saying it's just something I do for fun, because it really is. But I downplay how much it honestly means to me, and how it has saved me from becoming completely insane in my "real" job. Working with kids and families is tough, and I often come home after a meeting feeling like I need to re-think my choices in life. I also come home wanting to pour myself a large glass of wine. Usually I refrain. Usually.







Wearing //
Nordstrom jacket, similar here and here
Topshop skirt, perfect Spring option
J.Crew pumps, similar




When I first started Beautygirl24 in 2009, the only people I told were my best friends. I didn't even tell close friends and family, and certainly not co-workers. I wasn't sure why, but I was completely embarrassed. I didn't think it would be taken seriously, because hell I didn't even take it seriously. It was just supposed to be a guilty pleasure, something to entertain myself with while I was avoiding becoming a full-fledged adult. Then once I started Instagram, people found out about this hobby of mine, and now pretty much everyone I know, knows. It sometimes feels like a dirty secret that I've carried around. But then I wonder, why I am ashamed? I mean what's the big deal? So many women have blogs now. Stay at home moms, working women who need an outlet, and many who have been fortunate (and hard working) enough to make blogging their full-time jobs. It's an idea that I've grappled with, especially lately. I'm just not convinced that I'd enjoy solely doing this for work, and I like that it's been a low maintenance thing. Would I still enjoy doing this if it were my job? I really don't know, nor have I given myself the freedom to give it a few minutes thought.

But yes, I have a blog. And I am beginning to be more than okay with people knowing. I'm actually proud of it.

Do you ladies tell others about your blog? How do you feel about it? I'm in discussion mode on this one!

16 comments:

  1. It has taken me a while to get comfortable telling people about my blog too, but now I just own it. If people don't understand or think it's silly, who cares. It makes us happy and gives us a creative escape. You are amazing and have every reason to be proud. Also, love that white dress with the pink bag. We are white dress twins on our blogs today.

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your blog is amazing so I would own it too! Thank you for your support Amy Ann :)

      Delete
  2. Firstly - am so in love with the pictures in this post - you look gorgeous! As for blogging - due to my years of "headless blogging" you can tell that I haven't always told people about my blog.

    I think in the first year only my sister and my husband knew. Now most of my close friends know, but I still don't like promoting it among people I "know" because i don't want to feel self-conscious about it and to be restricted in what I'm blogging because of "who might be reading".

    Working with brands etc has helped me feel less 'embarrassed' about blogging...because it shows me that my work actually is recognised and has value - isnt that strange? Like, I must be doing an okay job if companies actually want to collaborate lol!

    MY BLOG: ♥♥♥ Ella Pretty ♥♥♥


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I think once you start meeting people, networking, and attending events, it really puts things into perspective and it makes you realize how much fun blogging is! Why would we want to miss out on those experiences? I hope I can work with more brands like you do in the future! That's one of my goals.

      Delete
  3. This is perfect and very well said!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, yes, I can definitely relate! I think for me, part of why I started blogging was because I didn't have any friends or family in real life that I could talk with about clothes and fashion, so blogging was my way of doing that. And I had to assume that my real life friends/family wouldn't be interested in my blog content because if they did, wouldn't we already have discussed some of this stuff in real life? Needless to say most of them know about it now, though it took a couple of years. Like Zeba...I try not to think about that because I don't want to tailor my content to "what will they think of this." (Although they really have ended up being good sources of feedback in regards to what clicks with people who are not as into fashion as my blog friends.) So I'm slightly more comfortable with discussing the blog now...but I'd be lying if I said I was 100% comfortable. Most of the time I'd still rather not talk about it offline unless I'm with fellow bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes sense! I don't necessarily have a lot of friends who are interested in clothes and beauty products like I am, aside from Katie. But when most of your friends and family don't have the same interests, having a blog and being part of a community like this is really satisfying! And I feel the same way about not wanting to talk about my blog much unless I'm with bloggers too :)

      Delete
  5. I am with you...I have been blogging for almost a year and have told very few people in my family or my friends. I feel like they would not understand. But since I have started working with more brands and getting paid posts, I feel more proud of my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! I'll have to read your blog! I love finding new material :)

      Delete
  6. You look so pretty! When I first started, I really didn't tell anyone. But now that it has grown to be a part of me and something I am proud of, I do tell people :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tara :) Your blog is definitely important to a lot of working women who need inspiration!

      Delete
  7. I still don't talk about it at work, but it is my little project that I'm very proud of. People often don't get it or may judge me but I know what I get from it so I don't care. You look adorable, I need to recreate this look.

    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you! You're always so honest and you don't let what others think stand in your way :)

      Delete
  8. I felt the same way when I first started... no one knew, I took all my photos by myself with my tripod, and eventually through reading other blogs I had friends through the internet. Once a few close people knew and I got more comfortable with it, I started letting my posts publish to facebook, and everyone would see them. I got lots of positive reenforcement, and now many people in my life are involved in the blog in one way or another.

    I love toying with the idea of being able to be a full time blogger, if it were even possible... but it's easy to forget that when companies are sponsoring you, there is some trade off with the content you are creating, and it being 100% yours.

    Oh, and this outfit is absolutely adorable! I love your silver heels and perfect pink bag.
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's funny. A couple of weekends ago when I was at a wedding, I felt very self conscious because a couple of people brought up my blog but in that condescending tone like - Oh, I *KNEW* you'd be out here taking pictures of yourself. Well, yes, of course I am. I'm wearing a $650 dress from rent the runway that only cost me $57 to rent and I look fabulous and want to document this in a place that's not in front of my house! Except at the time, I wasn't that snarky. I just quietly got my feelings hurt and felt like everyone in real life thinks my blog is a joke. But I'm working on that confidence. My boss and my other coworker are super supportive of the blog and enjoy me telling them things like - Macy's put me on their billboard in Times Square! So, that's at least nice. And if anything, how many people say they make money from their hobby? It may not be much, but it's something, and the relationships are invaluable! So glad our paths have crossed, Noelle!
    Carylee | morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Noelle, I have always thought it was so awesome that you had this little space. Something you care about, that's different from the day to day. I too hesitate to tell people I'm blogging now, just because I am terrified of judgement...what if they don't like my stuff? What if someone doesn't agree with something I say? I know that's all silly but you know how I am, an over thinker. Anyways, I think it's awesome you have had Beautygirl for so long and have kept up on it! It's not always easy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I read each and every one, and do my best to answer questions or return the favor on your blog.